Pages

4.26.2007

More curiosity

I wonder how learners come by more curiosity. Do you suppose it's contagious? Perhaps they get to wondering when someone else wonders out loud when they listen or in print as they read. I wonder if curiosity can be learned by example. Perhaps there is more curiosity after someone has demonstrated being curious and full of questions.

I'm questioning the effects we have on learners' curiosity. I don't know what makes people have more curiosity. I don't even know if we can make learners be more inquisitive. Perhaps curiosity is an autonomous function that cannot be influenced by others. On the other hand, curiosity might be totally dependent on how the learner is seen, related to and treated with information by other learners.

I'm amazed at how inquisitive youngsters are. They are full of questions and undeterred by a grownup's lack of fascination. I wonder if curiosity is a natural born trait that gets stifled by socialization and testing. I'd be amazed if teaching people "there's one right answer" does not have an effect on their curiosity.

I wonder if curiosity is irrepressible and we're merely pretending to be disinterested and bored. I wonder how it's even possible for someone to have their mind made up and say they have no further questions. Isn't everything too complex and mysterious to ever be so confident and closed minded?

I wonder if all this has made you more curious than a list of bullet points about having the effect of "increasing curiosity" like:

  • think with questions
  • wonder out loud
  • say what you don't know
  • demonstrate fascination and innocence
  • raise doubts a dilemmas
Technorati tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment